My year in books
This year I read 31 books, although I'm halfway through The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin, so I'll be up a book by the end of the year. I'd like to say I'll read one after that, but December is always a busy month. Then again, I really should make more time to read.
My top three books this year were:
1. Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman (This book just spoke to me. I have a feeling it's one of those books you either love or hate, but for me it was a complete win. I'm definitely going to re-read it next year, and I would also like to buy the paperback to own (hint to anyone who wants to buy me a Christmas present).
2. Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan (Swoon! I just loved the creativity, mystery and pace of this book. I read most of it on a plane ride from Australia and it helped make the time go a lot faster).
3. Killing Commendatore by Haruki Marukami (I'm a Marukami fan. His books are always weird and wonderful, and this one was no different. Probably the longest book I read this year, but I couldn't wait to climb into bed each night to see what was going to happen).
The rest (in no particular order:
4. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
5. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
6. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
7. Carrie by Stephen King
8. Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
9. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
10. The Faerie Gaurdian by Rachel Morgan (South Africa author)
11. A Long Way Home by Sarroo Brierley (The movie is, Lion. I cried in the book and the film)
12. The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley
13. The Girl Before by J.P Delaney
14. The White Road by Sarah Lotz (South African author)
15. The Ghost Writer by Alessandra Torre
16. Final Girls by Riley Sager
17. White Bodies by Jane Robins
18. Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
19. Sourdough by Robin Sloan
20. Silent Child by Sarah A. Denzil
21. Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King
22. The Woman in the Window by A.J Finn
23. Carnivore by Jonathan Lyon
24. The Chalk Man by C.J Tudor
25. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
26. Little Panic by Amanda Stern
27. The Not-So-Grim Reaper by Sergio Pereira (South African author. I loved his character, Gee).
28. Memoirs of a Guardian Angel by Graham Downs (South African author)
29. The Man who didn't Call by Rosie Walsh
30. A Life made of Lava by Lissa Del (South African author)
31. The One by John Marrs (interesting concept).
Here's to a 2019 of more writing and more reading!